+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WRT?

Default WRT?

I saw this on Facebook-

World Racquetball Tour

Welcome to the first WRT, World Racquetball Tour. This international tour will feature adult players as well as rising stars from the USA, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America. Pro/Open singles players will play for
    $5,000 in prize money distributed down to the quarter finals and Pro doubles players for $1,000 winners take all.

In conjunction with our Pro division, we will be hosting a gre
    at amateur tournament with prize coupons from Gearbox for winners and finalists. Play will begin on Friday early afternoon for the pro events and on Friday at 5 p.m. for the amateur events. Pro/Open singles will play 2 games to 15, with a tiebreaker to 11 format and both pro and amateur events will play with the Gearbox black ball.

Thursday evening prior to the start of the official tournament, we will host a Pro/Am doubles event. You will be paired with one of the emergent players and be part of a fun evening designed to support the success of this new tour, and of our future racquetball premier athletes. Enter the event on the website to partner with a player of electrifying talent! All participants will enjoy hospitality provided by ClubSport for this event.

Saturday night there will be a tournament party off site at our great local brew pub, The Hopyard, just 5 minutes from the club. Join the pros and the players for beer, bragging rights and relaxation after a day of racquetball.

ClubSport is attached to a Hilton Hotel so accommodations are easy on the players who are not commuting.

I like the streaming video and I can get it on my iPhone! The IRT network needs to step up! I heard that this is being organized by Pablo formerly of the IRT net. It's supposed to be a series of tournaments for pro's outside of the IRT Top 8. I like the concept.

Is it a real tour or was this just one tournament?

I am hearing that they really lost their rears doing the Pleasanton tournament and the WRT is now dead. RIP.

Maybe I'm in the minority with this opinion, but I thought the whole WRT concept was poorly planned and to be quite frank, boring. They were using TV as a medium to promote the new tour, yet there were no players that I wanted to watch. I guess if you are in to watching local players or strictly amateurs it might work.

Was this rally a bonafide tour or was it just Gearbox getting into Mannino's face?

Default WRT

I hope this really works out. There is lots of talent out there but you won’t see it because most Open division pay out about $500 bucks and after you pay for hotel for 3 nights it leaves you nothing even if you win. Semper Fi Rafael.

I did a Bing search (because Google sucks) for WRT and this is what I came up with : http://www.worldracquetballtour.com/#

It looks like a splash page and all the links are dead. It appears that the WRT was a short lived effort.

+ Reply to Thread